likes and dislikes...

spaceace
Site Owner
Flag: Canada

likes and dislikes...

Post by spaceace »

what does everyone like and dislike about forums?

for me, i like most aspects of forums...
  1. the sence of community
  2. friends
  3. sharing... and the list goes on.
as for dislikes,
  1. portals - they have everything in them and it takes away the actual board usage.
  2. sidebars - they also take away from the forum as most of them contain ads. i'm actually creating a style that has sidebars... not to use, but because they are popular.
  3. ads - i know people need to pay for hosting but hosting is not really that expensive. i used to have ads here and hated them. so i took them off.
  4. automatic topic/thread subscriptions - post something, submit it, get a reply, only to find you get an e-mail notifying you of the reply. click on the link in the e-mail and what do you get? you get a user that never uses your forum because they get direct links to what they want to see without having to do anything extra. this also creates problems for users that do not want these notifications because if they forget to uncheck the box to subscribe, they have to go in and unsubscribe from something they didn't really want in the first place.

if you like my work and would like to contribute to my development of styles, please donate by using the donate button in the header.

Need hosting? Click this text to check out ICDSOFT

Gnome!
Site Admin
Flag: Australia

Re: likes and dislikes...

Post by Gnome! »

spaceace wrote:what does everyone like and dislike about forums?

for me, i like most aspects of forums...
  1. the sence of community
  2. friends
  3. sharing... and the list goes on.
as for dislikes,
  1. portals - they have everything in them and it takes away the actual board usage.
  2. sidebars - they also take away from the forum as most of them contain ads. i'm actually creating a style that has sidebars... not to use, but because they are popular.
  3. ads - i know people need to pay for hosting but hosting is not really that expensive. i used to have ads here and hated them. so i took them off.
  4. automatic topic/thread subscriptions - post something, submit it, get a reply, only to find you get an e-mail notifying you of the reply. click on the link in the e-mail and what do you get? you get a user that never uses your forum because they get direct links to what they want to see without having to do anything extra. this also creates problems for users that do not want these notifications because if they forget to uncheck the box to subscribe, they have to go in and unsubscribe from something they didn't really want in the first place.

You've pretty much summed it all up for me :D
Gnome!

Knows, I have just enough. Enough to make me content, enough to make me want a little more, but if I don't get it, I'll be OK.