new project...

spaceace
Site Owner
Flag: Canada

new project...

Post by spaceace »

my old truck is getting a bit of a makeover. old truck being my 1981 Ford with the flat bed. a couple years ago, the motor went for a crap and it was also in need of some extensive repairs to the cab itself. well, i picked up a cab for it this past Monday for $350. it's complete with the entire front clip
$_35.JPG
fenders and hood are pretty much like new. the cab itself only needs a little work to make it 100% again. after i get the cab ready, i will be looking for a motor to put in it which will be another 302(5.0L) EFI for now.

i will be posting pics of the progress as i get time to work on it ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

if you like my work and would like to contribute to my development of styles, please donate by using the donate button in the header.

Need hosting? Click this text to check out ICDSOFT

spaceace
Site Owner

Re: new project...

Post by spaceace »

will be starting to work on it this weekend. should be able to post some pics of the progress :D
if you like my work and would like to contribute to my development of styles, please donate by using the donate button in the header.

spaceace
Site Owner

Post by spaceace »

not working on it yet but here's some pics pre-work ;)

the cab that will be going on the truck... needs a little work but not much :D

hood, fenders, and doors, are pretty much like new. just a tiny bit of rust on the bottom of the drivers fender
DSCF2115.JPG
DSCF2116.JPG
DSCF2118.JPG
and now for the patient :lol:

lots of rust on the old girl :roll:
DSCF2119.JPG
DSCF2120.JPG
DSCF2121.JPG
DSCF2122.JPG
lastly, i have to decide if i'm going to put the sunroof in the new cab or just leave it out...
DSCF2123.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

spaceace
Site Owner

Post by spaceace »

ok, a lot of progress was made. i got the cab off today :D
DSCF2150.JPG
after getting it removed, i found that 4 out of the 6 cab mounts on the frame need to be fixed :roll:
DSCF2151.JPG
DSCF2154.JPG
only good part about that is that 2 are on one cross-member so fixing it is as easy as replacing 1 piece :D
DSCF2152.JPG
and i'm soooo glad that i'm not trying to fix the original cab as the rust was a lot worse than i thought :shock:
DSCF2155.JPG
DSCF2156.JPG
DSCF2157.JPG
DSCF2158.JPG
DSCF2159.JPG
DSCF2160.JPG
DSCF2161.JPG
DSCF2162.JPG
DSCF2163.JPG
DSCF2164.JPG

Gnome!
Site Admin
Flag: Australia

Post by Gnome! »

I like ya shed....NO .......I WANT your shed!! I'd say the cab has seen better days with the amount of rust showing itself there. Hoping that the replacement cab is way much better on the underside. Perhaps a couple coats of sound deadner/tar compound will aid in longevity of the underbelly :)

Those mounts look to be riveted on. Is it a case of grind off then bolt on and weld new ones in place?
Gnome!

Knows, I have just enough. Enough to make me content, enough to make me want a little more, but if I don't get it, I'll be OK.

spaceace
Site Owner

Post by spaceace »

yes, the new cab is way better. only needs a little work to get it to 100%

and they are riveted on and i will not be replacing them, just welding a new piece on top where the bolts go through ;)

Warbirdstaffel
Donor

Post by Warbirdstaffel »

thats great what you do
in Germany this cars will go hot the last years
i bought a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 - very funny car
but lots of gas :-)

Greetings from Bavaria near Munich
Dirk
have fun :-)

spaceace
Site Owner

Post by spaceace »

got a little more done today after work...

got the bed off. bad part is that it's not worth putting back on as i can push my finger through it in several places... i will be making a new exactly the same as what was on it ;)

now for the pics :D
DSCF2166.JPG
DSCF2167.JPG
DSCF2170.JPG
DSCF2171.JPG
and what do you think? is there enough springs under the back or what???? :lol:
DSCF2173.JPG
and here's the tool box for the truck... been on it for years :D
the box originally contained during the war, 24 40mm QF Bofors Anti-Aircraft rounds :hunt:
DSCF2177.JPG

spaceace
Site Owner

Post by spaceace »

got a little done on the truck today. new rear leaf spring hangers and shackles on both sides.

hanger and shackle kit : Dorman OE Solutions 722-101

pic of the hanger and shackle removed
DSCF2321.JPG
hanger and shackle installed
DSCF2320.JPG
i will unbolt them when i get ready to paint the frame so i get a good coat of paint behind them :D

spaceace
Site Owner

Post by spaceace »

current progress... not much...

pulled the motor from the truck. while taking the torque converter nuts off, i removed 3 and was turning the motor over by hand to get the 4th and the motor stopped turning. so, something inside the motor actually let go and i will post pics of it when i take it apart to find out what really went wrong with it.

anyway, here's how things look right now in the carport :roll:
DSCF2330.JPG
lower left - replacement motor. donor was a 1995 Cobra Mustang :D

center - on hoist... old broken motor from the truck

on the right - replacement cab... still needs work :roll:

top center - rolling chassis with rear deck(no wood) and transmission