Had a blast today :)

Gnome!
Site Admin
Flag: Australia

Had a blast today :)

Post by Gnome! »

Took Mrs Gnome and our daughter out to Barry B's place for a nice relaxing day with a BBQ, awesome conversations over some fresh home made cake, giggles, laughter and just a little bit of mischief!

Had a hang fire.... turns out that 4 of my charges had condensation build up inside the plastic test tubes which killed a majority of the powder in each. Each one was allotted a 30 second count before walking away, pulling the projectiles then cleaning the barrel of un-burnt powder before reassembly and returning for another go.

The 2 shots that I'm pointing at were both 95gn FFF with the 300gn SST's. Just have to work on my elevation as you can see by the pic the lowest hole was the 1st shot with 80gn FFF behind the 300gn SST.

All shots were taken from 30 yards.

My lil one ain't afraid to have a go :D

Will work on loads a bit more in the coming weeks but can say that there is definitely a big difference between 80 and 90 grains and not a lot of noticeable difference between 90 and 95. Having said that I'm thinking the 95 grains of FFF will be it's settling spot with the 300gn Hornady SST's, oh and the push from that load is SO NICE :D

Am very happy with how well the FFF burns as you can see in the pic there is very little burn residue left.

Huge thanks goes to Barry and Jen for having us out there for the day, I look forward to the next visit when you start to teach me some of the intricacies of working those tanning machines :) Oh did I mention the Beautifully warm, fresh home made cake that Jen made....... DELICIOUS.

Gnome!

Knows, I have just enough. Enough to make me content, enough to make me want a little more, but if I don't get it, I'll be OK.

spaceace
Site Owner
Flag: Canada

Re: Had a blast today :)

Post by spaceace »

up the powder charge to 110 for the 300grs bullet to start... go up or down 5grs at a time to find what works best. also, look to see what the barrel can handle for max powder load... mine will has a rated load of 110grs with a 320grs bullet that produces 1588 fps and 1792 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle... but that is the numbers my manufacturer has produced. will be different depending on powder used and bullets ;)

awesome seeing that thing being used. looks like it was lots of fun :D
if you like my work and would like to contribute to my development of styles, please donate by using the donate button in the header.

Need hosting? Click this text to check out ICDSOFT

Gnome!
Site Admin

Post by Gnome! »

spaceace wrote:up the powder charge to 110 for the 300grs bullet to start... go up or down 5grs at a time to find what works best. also, look to see what the barrel can handle for max powder load... mine will has a rated load of 110grs with a 320grs bullet that produces 1588 fps and 1792 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle... but that is the numbers my manufacturer has produced. will be different depending on powder used and bullets ;)

awesome seeing that thing being used. looks like it was lots of fun :D

110 gns :shock: I figured I may have been down but not that far !! I will make up some charges from 100 - 110 in 5gn increments (3 charges of each with a clean patch after each 3) and see how she goes at the range. I will report back after that ;)

Also cleaning was easier than I had expected as she come up clean after 2 bottles full of very hot water, the 3rd bottle came out clear :D

I have to get me a better range rod (Solid Brass) and will be doing that in the next 2-3 weeks.
Gnome!

Knows, I have just enough. Enough to make me content, enough to make me want a little more, but if I don't get it, I'll be OK.

Gnome!
Site Admin

Post by Gnome! »

Oh yeah.... Did I mention that the Bore Butter smells like Denco/Deep-Heat Rub?? ...I'm totally fascinated by this!!
Gnome!

Gnome!
Site Admin

Post by Gnome! »

HMMM Seems as though I may be above the limits with using the 300 grain saboted projectiles. According to that info on the page below I have gone beyond the max safe load by 5 grains.
Scout max load..jpg
The page can be found here: Page 6/9
http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/uploads ... 0LOADS.pdf

Below is the quote from the Australian Pedersoli rep.
As the Pedersoli agent I would suggest that your load is excessive, Pedersoli states that the maximum load for a .50 Scout with a .490 round ball is 90 grains, a ball is a lot lighter than the saboted slug you are using, the heavier saboted projectile will create excessive pressures that the gun is not designed to take

If you wish to use heavy saboted slugs with a stiff charge the Scout is not the rifle to use! The barrel is one of the lighter made styles, for heavy hunting loads such as yours you should consider a Hawken or a Tryon or similar.

My wife uses a .45 cal with a 30 grain load
Isn't it funny that I now find out this info after all the searching I have done! ... Perhaps I should go with the lighter weight saboted projectiles and stay with that till I get my hands on something that can handle the heavier slugs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gnome!

spaceace
Site Owner

Post by spaceace »

wow :shock: :shock:
if you like my work and would like to contribute to my development of styles, please donate by using the donate button in the header.

Gnome!
Site Admin

Post by Gnome! »

ImageWell today is a FANTASTIC DAY with the BEST EVER response from Davide Pedersoli
My request.jpg
Pedersoli reply..jpg
I'm saving this to my phone so if anyone questions me regarding this I can show them and kill any negative thoughts on the spot :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gnome!

spaceace
Site Owner

Post by spaceace »

it's not even my gun and it made my day... awesome news :D