When Styles Update from phpBB to the next phpBB

itsallaboutmusic
Donor

When Styles Update from phpBB to the next phpBB

Post by itsallaboutmusic »

What is actually changed in a style when a phpBB version changes? Example: When phpBB 3.0.10 turns to 3.11 why are styles changed and what is changed. The reason I ask, is when a site has several mods, often times the style updates require re-coding for the mods installed of which is very time consuming.

This is a great opportunity for myself and any other to learn what this process is.

Side question:

"Activity over the last 24 hours" on my site in the Areo styles is white and I'm not sure how to change the color to black. See http://www.itsallaboutmusic.net for what I'm referring to.
Last edited by itsallaboutmusic on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

spaceace
Site Owner
Flag: Canada

Re: When Styles Update from phpBB to the next phpBB

Post by spaceace »

some of the functions in the styles change when the core of phpBB gets changed or recoded. simple things like forum icons get called by a different function and then the template files have to also reflect those changes.

for some of the other changes to styles is to make them xhtml compliant. like the order in which the css files have elements, some of them have to be in a certain order now.

some of the changes in my opinion are kinda dumb and not really needed. for example... in my styles, when you go to register and have to click on the button saying that you agree or disagree to the terms, phpBB will not accept the position of my buttons. i have disagree as the first button as bots are programmed to click on the first button on that page and phpBB wants the agree button set as the first one... dumb if you ask me :lol:

now, for your style question... you need to put in an inline colour element...

find
Code: Select all
<h3 id="24hour_stats">{L_24HOUR_STATS}</h3>
change to
Code: Select all
<h3 id="24hour_stats" style="color: #000000;">{L_24HOUR_STATS}</h3>
in your style the <h3> is set to #FFFFFF which is white ;)
Last edited by spaceace on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
if you like my work and would like to contribute to my development of styles, please donate by using the donate button in the header.

Need hosting? Click this text to check out ICDSOFT

itsallaboutmusic
Donor

Post by itsallaboutmusic »

Awesome! all fixed and thanks for the education to boot! It was great chatting with you as well.
Last edited by itsallaboutmusic on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

spaceace
Site Owner

Post by spaceace »

you're welcome :)
Last edited by spaceace on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
if you like my work and would like to contribute to my development of styles, please donate by using the donate button in the header.

Need hosting? Click this text to check out ICDSOFT

Gnome!
Site Admin
Flag: Australia

Post by Gnome! »

some of the changes in my opinion are kinda dumb and not really needed. for example... in my styles, when you go to register and have to click on the button saying that you agree or disagree to the terms, phpBB will not accept the position of my buttons. i have disagree as the first button as bots are programmed to click on the first button on that page and phpBB wants the agree button set as the first one... dumb if you ask me :lol:
This is set so as Spam bots and the like can get into the site and create havock! ... I like the way Space has set he buttons out and if anything it is way less complicated.

Thanks heaps for the information Spaceace :D
Last edited by Gnome! on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gnome!

Knows, I have just enough. Enough to make me content, enough to make me want a little more, but if I don't get it, I'll be OK.

Mintcopper

Post by Mintcopper »

"QUOTE"

In the case that bots click on the first button it only makes sense to put the disagree button first
Last edited by Mintcopper on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Smile it keeps people wondering what your up to :)

jahanshazi

Post by jahanshazi »

This was interesting.
Last edited by jahanshazi on Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:30 am, edited 3 times in total.