The making of a powder horn.

Gnome!
Site Admin
Flag: Australia

The making of a powder horn.

Post by Gnome! »

Figured I would do a little build along on a pair of Powder horns I'm making up.

To start off with I took down the pair of large bulls horns that were hanging on the wall in the lounge room!!

I then removed them from the mounting block they were on.

Using a hacksaw I removed the damaged and very thin portion of the horns to be ready for sanding flat.

Sanding down the unevenness of my cuts with 80 grit paper to get them even in flatness first, then stepping down in grades of paper from 120, 400, and finishing off with 600 grit to smooth over the edges.

Ready for the measuring and removing of the horn tips in prep for drilling the fill/pour hole.

Taking a peace of ti-wire insert down into the horn to find its bottoming point.

Once the bottom point is found holding the wire to the outside and using a paint pen I marked the horn at the end of the wire where the bottom should be.

I then used a silicone spout to put the horn tip into to make it easier to mark the horn all way around so as I have a good reference line to cut the tip from.

Ready to cut the tips off with the hacksaw. Note: make sure that you be very light in cutting pressure when nearing the offside of the horn tip you are cutting to avoid a splinter from forming.

Using 3 differing sized drill bits ranging from 3, 3.5 and 4.5mm.
Hold the horn and using the smallest drill bit placed as close to the center of the cut horn as possible and drill inline with the straightest part of the horn (See attachment below) and proceed carefully to drill the length (removing bit occasionally to avoid blocking the bit up) till it makes its way to the inside of the horn. Repeat the process with the next 2 drill bits.
drill angle.jpg
Not the best of pics but you can see light coming through the holes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gnome!

Knows, I have just enough. Enough to make me content, enough to make me want a little more, but if I don't get it, I'll be OK.

spaceace
Site Owner
Flag: Canada

Re: The making of a powder horn.

Post by spaceace »

nice work :D
if you like my work and would like to contribute to my development of styles, please donate by using the donate button in the header.

Need hosting? Click this text to check out ICDSOFT

spaceace
Site Owner

Post by spaceace »

here's how mine is. for some ideas ;)
DSCF3054.JPG
DSCF3055.JPG
DSCF3056.JPG
DSCF3057.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
if you like my work and would like to contribute to my development of styles, please donate by using the donate button in the header.

spaceace
Site Owner

Post by spaceace »

also, if you are looking for different valves... there are many to choose from ;)

http://www.octobercountry.com/powder-horn-valve/

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_in ... ts_id=7874

Gnome!
Site Admin

Post by Gnome! »

Am talking to my neighbor down the road about machining up a pair of these in the size that I require ;) http://www.octobercountry.com/oc-standa ... pout-plug/
Gnome!

Knows, I have just enough. Enough to make me content, enough to make me want a little more, but if I don't get it, I'll be OK.

Gnome!
Site Admin

Post by Gnome! »

Ordered a pair of these today and hope to have them here this time net week :)
Powder Spout..jpg
My neighbor can make them for me but I will be waiting some 6 - 8 weeks so I figured I would get these and modify them a lil bit to suit. :D
Gnome!

spaceace
Site Owner

Post by spaceace »

nice :D

Gnome!
Site Admin

Post by Gnome! »

Well the parts have arrived and will be getting a couple new hacksaw blades tomorrow as I have to take a 1/2 inch or 10 mm cut off of the tips to allow for the slightly larger peaces to be fitted but they will look the part for sure once they are installed :D
Gnome!

Gnome!
Site Admin

Post by Gnome! »

The spouts arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon so it was left till today to do the installing of them.

Had to cut another peace off the horn tip to allow for the diameter of the spout and get the horn as close as possible to the flare/lip.

Then it was time to drill out the hole (using 4 separate sized drill bits from 6.5 - 13 mm to get the final hole size of 1/2 inch or 13 mm) for the knurled end of the pouring spout to slip neatly into its new resting place.

Showing the final hole size and depth.

Glued in place with 406 Loctite .... (Note to self I should have marked the spouts flare with marking pen then filed down to shape!)

Taped up and filing down to match the horn shape.

Filed to shape, now to final sand them before a transfer/image is placed on them.

Gnome!

Gnome!
Site Admin

Post by Gnome! »

Gave the horns the complete once over with varying grades of sand paper to remove the original petina, grime and spider poo!

Before.

During

After.

Once wiped clean of dust, the names were transferred onto the the horns. (Special mention to my Daughter for doing this as she has way steadier hands tor this than I ever will.)

Before being painted.

Steady hands ;) :D

After painting.

Tomorrow they will sit out in the sun to bake the paint on before I proceed to sealing them with wax. After they have been waxed I will then set the strap swivels in place and get started on the end caps.
Gnome!